- This event has passed.
Sesquicentennial Traveling Photo Exhibit | “Bridges : Sharing Our Past to Enrich the Future”
June 1, 2017 - July 28, 2017
- The opening reception for the Bridges Exhibit in Seward will be Friday evening, June 9th, from 5PM-7PM at the Longworthy Gallery in the Seward Civic Center, 616 Bradford St. Hildegard Center for the Arts’ representatives will be there to introduce the exhibit to the community and acknowledge the winning photographers.
- During Seward’s July 4th Celebration, a representative of Hildegard Center for the Arts will be giving a brief presentation at 10AM and noon.
Endorsed by the Nebraska 150 Commission as a “Signature Event,” Hildegard Center for the Arts, in collaboration with the Nebraska Tourism Commission and the Nebraska State Historical Society issued a call to amateur and professional photographers to capture images of historic sites or hidden treasures from all 93 counties across Nebraska. The photographers were also invited to share photos that had a community or personal significance to help tell Nebraska’s story. The Bridges Photo Call was open from June 1, 2015 – March 21, 2016. Each photographer could submit up to five images per submission, and enter multiple times. Each submission also included a brief narrative that described how the focus of the photos bridged the past with the present.
The distinguished jurors for the Bridges Photo Call included world-renowned contributor to National Geographic Magazine and NEBRASKAland Magazine Joel Sartore; University of Nebraska-Lincoln Professor Emeritus George Tuck; and regular contributors to Nebraska Life Magazine, Bobbi and Steve Olson. The jurors carefully reviewed over 800 photo submissions.
The winning photos from each of Nebraska’s 93 counties are to be featured in a statewide Sesquicentennial Traveling Photo Exhibit titled “Bridges: Sharing our Past to Enrich the Future.” The exhibit intends to link history, generations and cultures as the state celebrates Nebraska’s 150th birthday in 2017. The selected photographs will also be showcased in a digital catalog and may appear in
Nebraska Tourism travel guides, posters and calendars to promote the State of Nebraska. ALL submitted photos will join a virtual exhibit on the HCFA website www.hildegardcenter.org.
Exhibit Venues & Tour Schedule:
- Great Plains Art Museum in Lincoln: January 6 – March 25, 2017
- Seward Civic Center: June 1 – July 28, 2017
- North Platte Prairie Arts Center: August 1 – September 22, 2017
- Norfolk Art Center: September 7 – October 26, 2017
- Carnegie Arts Center in Alliance: September 26 – November 10, 2017
- Durham Museum in Omaha: November 24, 2017 – January 7, 2018
The Sesquicentennial Traveling Photo Exhibit “Bridges” Sharing our Past to Enrich the Future” is supported in part by Humanities Nebraska and the Nebraska Cultural Endowment. Statewide Exhibit Sponsors include: The Ethel S. Abbott Charitable Foundation and Johnson Hardware Company. For a complete list of Regional Sponsors, visit www.hildegardcenter.org.
Serving on the Bridges Photo Call committee: Project Chair –Cathy Harrington, Alexandra Alberda, Angela Carroll, Kim Einspahr, Jenn Gjerde, Rita Kean, Erin Lenz, Bob Puschendorf, Marilyn Stadler, Angela White, Donna Williams, Anne Woita